I recently came across the following points in relation to meditating from scripture. They come from a book called The Art of Divine Meditation by Joseph Hall.
– What is it (define and/or describe what it is) you are meditating upon?
– What are its divisions or parts?
– What causes it?
– What does it cause; that is, what are its fruits and effects?
– What is its place, location, or use?
– What are its qualities and attachments?
– What is contrary, contradictory, or different to it?
– What compares to it?
– What are its titles or names?
– What are the testimonies or examples of Scripture about it?
You can check out the original book for free on Google Books here: https://books.google.com.au/books?id=_9GzBjJd7r0C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
HT: Justin Taylor